My children's book on Chiari Malformation

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I have come to love writing and teaching was a passion until a condition called Chiari Malformation
caused me to have to quit my job. With a Masters of education degree, A Teaching certificate, and four years of teaching Deaf children k-12 grades, I have decided to write a children's story about my condition. There are no children friendly books out there about the topic and more children are diagnosed everyday with this disorder. I felt that it is important that there be something to explain to them why they are sick and also to help nurses, doctors and other hospital or doctor office staffs to understand what the child or adult is going through, how much pain they are in and just help them truly understand and be able to empathize with their patients. I have not found that in my experience. It is hard to understand unless someone explains. even then my family doesn't understand how I feel and that there are many things that i just can't do. I was diagnosed as an adult at the age of 25. i got to the point where fatique and pain have literally taken over my body and functioning everyday is difficult. For many though, they get relief from the surgery needed to relieve the pressure off the brain where it has grown through the skull and is infringing upon the spinal cord, squishing them both. there is hope for most people with this condition. one in every 1000 people have this condition. Many never show symptoms and don't even know they have it. Some have symptoms and need surgery to relieve the pressure.















google +1

heather Youngdell

heather Youngdell
photo of Heather Youngdell

Chiari Wordle: a blurb of my book

Wordle: Chiari malformation

writing calendar

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I'm back after a long break for life

Life got a hold of me for a while and I am sorry to all my readers. I am back and hope to be able to post more often. I am still trying to find someone publish my book without charging me an arm and a leg. I am now interested in writing a memoir as well about my life with chiari and the lessons I have had to learn through pain, hard work and plain old determination. It hasn't been a glamorous life but it's my life. A story worth telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cleveland chpter CSF clinical diagnosis and management of chiari and SM jan 2011

How to manage chiari and syringomyelia? and What are they?

book writing goal badge

DailyStrength - Free Online Support Groups

My Writing Goals

As a writer, setting goals is very important. I am a children lover and true believer of books and teaching children to read. My motto is: If you can read, you can do anything!

You know, there is a book out there on most any topic. Reading them can help you do things yourself in your house, learn to write, paint, and even on just being yourself, but encouraging you to be your best self. Well these are my goals and reasons I write. I hope that these goals and purposes will make me a better person and a better writer for sticking to them.

I want to write this children's book because :

1. I love children. I want children with Chiari Malformation syndrome to understand their illness and help others to be empathetic about their situation.

2. Being a Chiari patient myself, I know what it's like how it makes you feel, and how it limits you from doing many things. I want to educate parents of Chiari patients, as well as doctors, nurses, and other medical staff. waht better way than with a picture book that breaks it down. You'd be surprised how many medical professionals don't know what Chiari malformation is.

3. I want to encourage children to read all kinds of genre, whether it be fiction, nonfiction, or any other readable thing, newspapers, magazines, comics, etc...

I will accomplish these writing goals by:



Things i hope to keep with in my writing to improve

1. I will work hard at my writing by revising, revising and revising again.
2. I will improve my grammar and mechanical skills as well as my writing technique and tightening the story to make it the best it can be.
3. I will take advantage of every, class, seminar, conference, how to book etc... that will focus on writing technique.
4.I will respect my audience by observing a child in group settings, practicing up on child development so that i can hone my writing to the children's different levels of learning.
5. I will become part of the rich tradition fo children's literature by reading as many children's books as I can get my hands on. award books and non-award books alike.
6. I will learn the conventions of the genre and the audience of children's literature. choosing a category and studying up on the "rules" of each one, following up on how a good book follows or breaks them, and i will speak to many experts including librarians, teachers, writers, and editors about the categories and genre of books i am exploring.
7. I need to determine the tools needed to help me as a writer and get them together. I plan to apply for contests allowing myself to explore other genre's, develop professional contacts with those in the industry who can give help and advice, and I need to develop my own techniques and use others to engage the young readers and to get a reaction from them.
8. i will learn the rules of submitting manuscripts by looking up publishers in my genre and researching the guidelines of each. I will read picture books published by these publishers old and new.
9. i will take chances by learning to write in different genre's , entering contests of all genre's for learnings sake and I will submit my manuscript to an editor or publisher to have it published. this may not be in six months but i plan to make it happen.
10. I will treat my writing seriously, taking the time out of the day to write, look at and consider professionl organizations such as SCBWI and others. joining is a big step. I will also check out my google reads webfeeds and blogs on writing, medical information that may enlighten me while writing this book and educational games, teacing reading and writing to deaf and hearing children, what is the difference? books that i loves etc...
I hope these goals will help me when I am discouraged, to keep me on the my writers map and remind me the real reason I am writing this manuscript and focusing so much on reading. If I am confused, or lack confidence, i hope looking back will give me the enlightenment to continue. this map will lead me where I know i want to go, through all the hard work, and overwhelming moments. these goals will guide my writing and put me back on track.

Lose weight and eat healthy goal badge

DailyStrength - Free Online Support Groups